Friday, September 14, 2012

Bra Bind- Come on Designers, Cop On!

I know I have written about my bra woe's in the past, but they are now starting to come to a head.  A few years ago, Lane Bryant discontinued my favorite bra.  To date I have not found a suitable replacement.  I'm now starting to get very worried as my only bra left from this collection is soon going to need to transition to the great brazier pasture in the sky.  I don't think bra designers truly think about comfort and realism when it comes to plus size bras.  Now, I'm sure for the slightly larger women of the world, you are able to find perfectly comfortable and attractive bras that you can wear on a daily basis.  When you are my size, though, your pickings are very limited.  Even my favorite Cacique bra wasn't as supportive as I would have liked. 

So now I'm on the hunt for a replacement bra.  So far, there's none to be found in Ireland.  The ONE plus sized ladies shop, Evans, needs a wake up call when it comes to their bras.  While they are gorgeous and I would LOVE to be able to wear many of them, they are flimsy, with narrow straps.  The material is not comfortable, and when you get to be my size, proportions change.  I'm not sure the designers have fully researched HOW proportions change in larger women's chests, to be honest.  It's not just about the size of the breasts.  It's also about the size of the entire upper body and how the elastic and fabric of the bra interacts with it.

I've even tried Evan's ugly granny bras, but they too are terribly uncomfortable.  Yes, you do want support, and they give you that in abundance.  But there is no give in them so you feel like you are being held in a vice. 

Where's Gok Wan when you need him!   How about upping the ante on plus size bra's for us with even more amplitude??

1 comment:

  1. As a tiny person with a large chest, I have had somewhat related problems in the area of bra finding, particularly since a lot of places assume I want a minimizer. I don't. I just want to be held up. (Well, and for the bra to look like lingere instead of a medical device.)

    I've had good luck getting measured at a store and then buying online, reading reviews. I was concerned at first about these purchases, especially since bras with good support tend to be expensive, but it has been surprisingly smooth sailing. I've been using Linda the Bra Lady. (Don't pay attention to her measurement guide, though. It's rubbish. Get measured at a shop.)

    ReplyDelete