Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Battle of the Nursing Bras- Part II


The battle has begun!! My question to the general pregnant public is, how good at plus sized nursing bras for the larger woman? Did the bra company just make the bra bigger or did they actually spend the time to support our larger breasts properly?

Each bra will be rated from 1 to 5 (5 being highest) in each of 5 categories for a possible total of 25 points:

1. Comfort- How do I feel when wearing the bra? Does it annoy me at all?

2. Support- Am I flapping in the breeze or do I feel properly supported?

3. Need For Adjustment- Do the straps fall constantly? Do I feel the need to pull at the back frequently?

4. Sex Appeal/ Attractiveness- Whats my husbands view of me in the bra?

5. Ease of Breast Exposing- Well, these ARE for nursing, so how easily can I extract my breast from the cup for the purpose of breast feeding?

This week, I am putting the bog standard plus size nursing bra, non-underwire under the radar. This bra is $21.98 from Motherhood.

When I first put the bra on, it felt really good. I was a bit weary of the stretchy shoulder straps, but if shortened enough, they held their place fairly well. That being said, I felt the need to adjust and tug at the back of the bra if the straps were too short. On the flip side, if the straps were longer, the support was lacking, so there was a bit of a Catch 22. My husband liked the initial support when presented to him (but then his wife hasn't been in the mood for much bra showing lately, so his rating this week could have been in gratitude). This bra, like the other Motherhood bras, has a plastic hook/snap at each breast. I found it easy to unhook with opposite hands, but I wasn't well able to re-hook, say the right cup with the right hand. Re-hooking really was a two hand job.

So, how did Ms. Bog Standard fair:

Comfort- 4
Support- 3.5
Need For Adjustment-3
Sex Appeal/ Attractiveness- 3
Ease of Breast Exposing- 3.5

Total-17 points

So here's our standard for the rest of the bras to go by.

Ladies, please feel free to send me in some ratings of your own using this scale...just let us know where you bought the bra and how much it cost for those who might like to get one. Send me a message and I'll post your review in a blog.

Cheers!
Jen

1 comment:

  1. I have gone through the phase so i could relate with it much, my trouble with plus size nursing bras came to an end just a few months back!

    ReplyDelete