Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Say Yes To Flight Socks

With permission from my doctors here in Ireland, I boarded a plane in Dublin to JFK to visit my mother after her radical surgery. BTW, she's doing REALLY well and thank you all for your continued prayers. But I digress. My doctor gave me a prescription for socks that patients in hospitals often wear to avoid deep vein thrombosis, or DVT. This can happen on flights, and I'm sure many of you have seen flight socks sold in CVS or other pharmacies. Well, I've never bought the over the counter type, but I LOVED the ones I got! The pharmacist measured my calf and thigh to make sure I got the right size. What was unique about these socks vs. the ones you get over the counter, is that these went all the way up to my bum! So they not only supported my calves but my entire leg. I felt much better throughout the flight. I will admit, though, that by the end of the 7 hour journey, I was ready for those puppies to come off, as the elastic at the top can...chaff... your sensitive bits. But on the whole, they were certainly worth it. My legs didn't swell up and look like they were going to pop (like they did after my wedding on the way to Aruba) and they felt much less tight. I would highly suggest these for all pregnant ladies or even just plus sized people of all ages who need to take a long haul flight. So ask your doctor for the REAL ones!

2 comments:

  1. Hold on tight to those. You will want them for later on down the preggo road when standing for more than ten minutes will swell your poor pups.

    ReplyDelete