Monday, May 4, 2009

Things That Suck

Being away from my family is starting to really suck. I've got less than a month left and I miss my family a lot. I don't have my mom that I can drive over to and visit, and although I've got fantastic friends here, there's nothing like having your mom nearby. My business partner Tara has recognized this, being from the states as well. She's lucky to at least have her in-laws in the same town. And while Rob's mom has started getting excited about being a grandmother, she's 4 hours away and has physical impairments that would keep her from spending alone time with the baby. Tara's been great, though, and has offered to be my surrogate mother in law, whenever I need a break, etc. Which is really nice.

I guess the main thing is, I feel like I'm missing out on the American pregnancy experience. I'm on an online group from baby gaga.com and every once in a while a girl will post, 'Hurray! Today's my baby shower!' I don't get to say that. In Ireland, you'd be jinxing the pregnancy to have a shower before the baby's born. For me, I feel like I'm missing out on a preperatory step to motherhood. I've got a girl at work who's asked me a few times, 'when's your baby shower!?' I hate having to say, 'I don't know, maybe there'll be a party after the baby's born?' It's just one of prices I pay for living in Ireland, I suppose. I guess I'm just getting overwhelmed with everything left to do... and it's not like I've felt ANY urge to nest to get me up and going. I still have to buy a carseat, bedding for the moses basket, crib mattress and bedding, baby's dresser and who knows what else. It'd be nice to have mom here to look over what we've got and say, 'right, Jen, this is what you still need, let's got shopping!'

5 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, Jen! I have sooo many of the same feelings! Especially this time around, having just moved and not being near close friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No shower, especially with your first has to suck. My mom is here this time but with my 1st two the 1.5 hour trip between us was too far for frequent visits. I know nobody here so we are having a party thing with some ladies we know from online but I don't think it will wind up as much of a shower, and I truly have nothing other than a crib, a pack-n-play and a coming home outfit. I didn't know you were on baby-gaga. I love that site. Parent tank me when you get the chance. I am Just4Bees, RN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Jen; you can have a baby shower! Tell that girl at work you changed your mind and are up for it. And Tara can help you shop. There are some great swap sites "Free Cycle" is a beauty. And once the word gets around you will find stuff comes from everywhere.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. we miss you too, bunnie!! and im sure Tina is just as sad as i am to not be able to throw you a shower till after the baby comes, but then it will be great!! have you thought of a theme for the nursury?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nursery? Baby will be in a moses basket next to our bed for a month or two at least. The other room already has a double bed in it so it won't be JUST a nursery...plus it's rented so we won't go putting up tons of decorations I think. Once we have a 3 bedroom that we can call our own we'll definitely think about theme!

    ReplyDelete