Friday, January 9, 2009

What The !?!?!?

This is the first in what I hope to be many blogs about my pregnancy. I'm not much of a writer, but I've had some thoughts running through my head, so I figured I might as well type them out. You see, not only am I pregnant, but I am morbidly obese. So the fact that I'm pregnant at all is, well, pretty amazing, at least to me. I probably should have started writing earlier, as I'm not 20 weeks in, or HALFWAY THERE, but, well, I didn't so there you have it.

Yes, you did read that correctly a bit ago, I am morbidly obese, and not afraid to say it. Throughout the rest of my pregnancy and recovery, I'm hoping to fill people in on what it's like for those like me. I'd love to hear from others who are, have been, or are hoping to become pregnant. Of course, partners are also welcome to chime in. Larger people all have their own stories, and I do not suppose I can represent the entire obese population, but I am have been a 'big girl' for most of my life, so I probably have a good idea what many are going through.

I grew up in Central New York (though now I live in Ireland). My mother's family noticed that I as getting larger around the age of 4th grade. This is when mom asked if I'd be interested in joining her at Weight Watchers. I jumped on it and lost about 20 pounds, which is a lot for a 10 year old. But, as most with a lot to lose know, it didn't stay off. I have memories of sneaking the chocolate bars my brother was trying to sell for boy scouts and hiding the wrappers, not so well, in the bottom of the trash... or going to the kitchen for a 'glass of water' when I was really grabbing a couple slices of yummy processed American cheese... or raiding my piggy bank, my mom's piggy bank, the couch, etc. so that I could stop to buy junk food in a vending machine I knew of on the way to school.

Yea, I was really good at finding food. So, the pounds didn't stay off of me. Since then, I've always struggled with my weight. I've been to Weight Watchers MANY times, the most recently, I lost 3 stone (42 pounds) about 3 years ago in Dublin, which was kept off for a bit, but then about 2 stone of that snuck back in. I've lost and gained 40 pounds with Atkins, been to a Diet Center, and have yo-yo'd for as long as I can remember. So, I guess you could say I'm a professional at being fat.

I hope this blog is interesting for my potential readers. That it gives you insight into the obese world and gives everyone a respect that you may not have potentially had previously. I am not writing to make fun of 'fat people' and hope that that is not your purpose in reading my blog. I honor and welcome comments, but ask for them to be respectful to all.

So to all who read this, happy blogging!
Best,
Jen

1 comment:

  1. Jen, I came across your blog while on Facebook, and I'm so happy that your dream of being a mother is coming true! I love to read about the common experiences that all mothers have so I know I'm not alone in how I feel. And after gaining a lot of weight during my pregnancies I'm forty pounds heavier than when you last saw me, so I'm sympathizing on the weight issues.

    ReplyDelete